- salivary gland
- nounany of three pairs of glands in the mouth and digestive system that secrete saliva for digestion• Hyponyms:↑parotid gland, ↑sublingual gland, ↑sublingual salivary gland, ↑submaxillary gland, ↑submaxillary salivary gland, ↑submandibular gland, ↑submandibular salivary gland, ↑mandibular gland• Part Holonyms:↑mouth, ↑oral cavity, ↑oral fissure, ↑rima oris, ↑digestive system, ↑gastrointestinal system, ↑systema alimentarium, ↑systema digestorium
* * *noun: any of various glands discharging a fluid secretion into the mouth cavity that in man comprise the large compound racemose parotid, sublingual, and submaxillary glands and in snakes include the venom glands; specifically : a gland that secretes saliva
* * *Anat.any of several glands, as the submaxillary glands, that secrete saliva.[1700-10]
* * *salivary gland nounA saliva-secreting gland• • •Main Entry: ↑saliva
* * *salivary gland UK [səˈlaɪvəri ˌɡlænd] US [ˈsælɪˌveri ˌɡlænd] noun [countable] [singular salivary gland plural salivary glands] medicalany of the organs that produce the saliva in your mouth
* * *salivary gland,any one of various glands that empty their secretions into the mouth. The salivary glands of human beings and certain other vertebrates are digestive glands that secrete saliva containing the digestive enzyme ptyalin, salts, albumin, and mucus.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ glands [count]medical : a small organ that produces saliva in your mouth
Useful english dictionary. 2012.